Saturday, October 2, 2010

I've Been Out

Well, you all know by now I'm coming home. Cass has found us two really nice looking places to live in Atascadero. One's bigger and nicer, but further out in the boondocks, the other's a little smaller but Jaylyn could ride  her bike home from school. They both sound and look great to me, and we'll be happy either way, I think.

While I'm on the topic of moving back, let me see if I can explain my mind-set. SLO's a great place. Denver's a great place. They both have so much good stuff to offer a young, active, smart family like ours. It's sort of like having to choose between The Doors and Jimmy Hendrix. They're similar but different, and they're both a great choice. Either way, you win. 

The point is that moving back doesn't feel like failure or abandonment or sacrifice or any of those kind of downer words. It feels like a good choice, albeit with another long drive associated with it. 

In local news, I haven't written here very much lately, and there's a very good reason for it.


Yeah. You got the envy right now, doncha?

Ok, just kidding. That business is on the way to work, and I've been laughing at it for weeks now. It's just that yesterday, I made the time to photograph it.


Don't you desperately want to go there? Ohhhh, yeah!

On Thursday, I went out with coworker Jessica and her roommate, Marty. I think that's her name. Coulda been Maddie. It was loud and I never saw it spelled out. We went to what might be the coolest kind of place on earth: the coffee shop bar. A full coffee shop plus a full bar. Why wouldn't you want that? 

No, really. There's something for everyone. You 'n your sober friend want to hang out in a bar-like atmosphere? No problem. You have a Christian friend who wont drink? Well, as we all know, caffeine is the Christian drug of choice, so you're both set! 

Or, drink too much, and there's a cappuccino ready and waiting. Not that coffee'll sober you up, actually; you'll just be drunk and wired. 

Anyway, this place was called Rooster and Moon, which I think is really appropriate for a place that serves coffee (in the morning; rooster) and beer (evening; moon, get it?). They were having a trivia contest held by a group called Geeks and Beer. The idea is you and your team — in my case me, Jessica, and Martie, AKA: The Everyone's A Winner Group — show up, and a deejay kind of guy asks questions, we fill out answers on a little paper they supply, and the winners get... something. I was never very clear about that.

L to R: Me, Martie, Jessica
We lost by a long shot. Too many sports questions. There was a round about the Yankees, where they asked for names. We wrote down things like Henry Rollins, Joey Ramone, and Jack Daniels. I don't think we won that round.

I caught up on sleep last night. Watched Showgirls. That movie was so bad, it was bad. The nudity was it's only saving grace. But the acting wasn't very good, the story wasn't very good, and the characters were one-dimensional at best (except the T&A, those obviously had other dimensions). I'm glad I saw it mostly as a pop culture thing, and I'll be able to make awesome disgusting references in the future, but it wasn't great filmmaking. 


Actually, it reminded me a lot of Christopher's explanation of the strip club: it's adult entertainment, not erotic entertainment. And, for the record, I don't recommend it.

Last thing for this post is a little bit of humdrum: today, I'm going out to buy new underpants. Why? Here's why:
The scale at the gym informs me that I am 150 pounds on the nose. In unrelated news, all my underwear are too loose. Bad laundry soap?
So, you might be asking: boxers or briefs? Thong.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the happy massage parlor includes the price of the happy ending as a matter of course, or if you have to pay for the massage and happy ending separately. Thoughts like these keep me up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing the new underwear. :) now everyone can be grossed out. We'll have 3 days all to ourselves.. ;)

    ReplyDelete