Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Yardstick of Civilization

Friday, I bought a coffee maker. I didn't use it all weekend because it was the weekend, and that's when I use my French press. But I sure did use it Monday and today.

On my normal website, I posted a few times on civet poop coffee. Is farmed stuff legit, why would you want it at all, how much does it cost, etc. I concluded this is a first world problem. Cambodia, for instance, does not care one iota about the quality of their civet poop coffee. I sincerely doubt many Cambodians care much about coffee at all right now.

The point is, I think, that while I'm not insane, rich, or out of problems enough to care about civet poop coffee, I do care about having a pot of it in the mornings.


At the moment, I buy my coffee sort of weekly. I don't have a grinder out here in my horrible house, so I have to grind beans at the grocery store. I don't want to store a large amount of ground beans since grinds seem to go bad faster than beans do. So I grind my beans, take them home, and stick them into one of these:


Anybody with a better idea for storing coffee grounds (Renee), feel free to let me know.

So for all my complaints about my stupid smelly house, I'm pretty civilized. When I got here, the only light in the room was in the closet. While it's cool having a light in my closet, having that be the only light wasn't so hot. My lamp is operated by a normal wall switch, and I like that. Also when I first moved in, I had a bed, desk, and a tv tray I brought with me as a bedside table. I've added shelves and a small table. Not to mention cardboard in the window, cutlery, vodka, local beer, and my newly acquired coffee maker and toaster.

That is, of course, in addition to my 24-inch iMac, iPhone 3GS, and color laser printer.

So I'm reasonably civilized: I can post to the Internet, watch Futurama and Reno 911, take photos and send emails. I'm still not happy, and wont be till my family's out here. But civilization (and a decent cup of coffee in one of the rad coffee cups Jaylyn made for me) certainly takes the sting out of being alone.

Here's a photo of me in the shower. ☺

5 comments:

  1. Did we really need to see the shower pic? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes, yes you DID need to see the shower pic. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creig you asshat. I'm your freaking mother and don't want to see you in the freaking shower.

    I would store coffee exactly as you are doing.

    Dad wants me to make him a grilled cheese sandwich. Otherwise I would say more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I warned you. It said, "here's a picture of me in the shower," ahead of the picture. You could have stopped scrolling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok Dad is fed.

    As I was saying...here I was all teary eyed, thinking, "wow, I raised this boy right. He's all decent and shit and loves poop coffee." Then you go and post a naked picture.

    WTF??

    Otherwise, you're ok.

    ReplyDelete