Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pictures of Pictures, and Beer

I'm a bit under the weather this weekend. And no, not from drinking too much. Just from being under the weather. I've spent today writing, playing Mario, watching Dream Theater, drinking orange and cranberry juice, and I went out into the world to get some groceries. That was enough activity for me for today. I wish I had the energy and gumption to get up and go do something, but I don't. All I want, really, is to sit on my butt.

Last night I did a little better. I hung a photo in my room, and my room's much better than it was. My job, a photo lab, allows us to print either five 8x10, or two 11x14 photos for free each month. Here's what I did.


The above photo, taken by Jenne LaCasse while we were in Creston, California, was sized to 11x28, then split in half so it could be my two 11x14's this month. I had them mounted on boards for $5 each, minus 40%, and hung them on my wall with sticky stuff. I pulled my level out of the toolbox so they'd be straight. In situ, they look like this:



It's still pretty barren and monkish in here, but these guys help out a lot; and I love having my family on the wall. As I sit here typing, my eye keeps being drawn up there. It makes me feel good.

Another thing that made me feel good was the turnout for my beer gathering. We ended up with a table of 14 people or so. A few appetizers, a few beers, and it was good times. The restaurant, Old Chicago, had a vibe very much like F. McLintock's meets generic large dining room chain restaurant. There were nearly as many TVs on the walls as there were beers on tap.

The first beer I tried was something local, but with the word Alaska in the name. Don't know what that was all about, but it was very tasty. Next, and all I could think of was Renee and DHAG, was called Sweaty Betty. After that, I had a delicious IPA, the name of which escapes me right now.

Sweaty Betty on the left, IPA on the right. Italian nachos in background.

They gave me a little card they use to track my beer intake and give me stuff. For instance, after I've had ten beers, they'll give me some Old Chicago World Beer Tour playing cards. After only forty beers, I'll get a bottle opener.

Also, once my registration has gone through, I should be able to log into the website and see what beers I've tried, and what's still on the list. I like that.

Here's me with some of the crew who showed up.

L to R: Me, Leslie, Jackie, Shipping Shawn, Press Sean
L to R: Peter, Lauren, Dave, Ben — (I'm directly to Peter's left)
It was a fun night. I'm glad I went, and I'm glad everyone who came did. It was nice meeting Press Sean's wife, for instance, and seeing Kameron drunk. We'll have to do this again some time.

I guess that's it for me for now. Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! Beautiful! And I'm sure Renee will love the honorable mention. I am also very happy with the turn out you had at your beer party. That was nice.

    I'm running out of bullshit things to say.

    Get some rest, drink plenty of liquids, and take that stuff that keeps the aches and pains away. I forgot how to spell I.B. profin.

    Such exciting news! Jaylyn/Jaylynn has a whole article and pictures of her in the Atascadero News! Good thing they spelled her name both ways. At least one of them would be right. Dad and I are mentioned, too, as well as Eddie. They spelled my name Deborah but they spelled Creig correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Beer turn out! I don't drink beer, but I would have gone. It looks/sounds like fun. I like that you can track the beers that you've tried. Do you get to keep your own glass there to?

    ~Jenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer tasting glasses would be awesome. What a cool collection that would be. I think that I'll go wine tasting a few times in the near future to build up our stock of wine glasses. I need a lot of them since I'm so awesome at breaking them.
    I think the artsy pictures are really neat. I think I'm a fan. Maybe foam mount pictures in the den would be cool for us.

    Love & Bruises

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom: I'm drinking lots of OJ and Cranberry juice today. It's not enough. :( Also lots of Ibuprofen. My knee aches when I get sick these days. I've GOT to get that repaired.

    Jenne: They had a full bar, plus wine, so there's SOMETHING for you there. Once you've tried all 110 beers, your get your name on the Wall of Foam. I DID see mugs hanging on a wall over near the bar, but I'm not sure how you get one of those. Next time I'm in, I'll ask.

    Cass: Yeah, the frameless photos are pretty good. I think next time, I'd want photos with more color in them. Something more vibrant and intense, if they're going onto a plain boring colored wall. Black and whites on a painted wall look good. I like the mix of plain with color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Renee - wasn't she sweating the last time we saw her? I think she was. No matter, I just wanted Creig to have a visualization.

    I think the pictures will look great in your new place.

    ReplyDelete