Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Little Better

Today, I went to the library. The big, central library. It's huge. Four stories tall, and the kid's section alone is the size of the Atascadero library. Also, it's open on Sunday. That was a big deal for me today. I ran out of book, and decided to read something coworker Jessica recommended.

Me out on the side of the library
The book, by the way, is fantastic so far. I'm only two chapters in, and it's grabbed me. It's by both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen. Terry Pratchett wrote the Discworld novels, and Neil Gaimen wrote Coraline. The book is called Good Omens, and is wonderful so far.

Now, speaking of libraries, my local branch opens up again on Tuesday. The citizens of Denver voted for this big fat renovation that's sweeping all the local branches. Other branches (here's the one I've used the most) that have been renovated have all had about a million dollars put into them.  Kind of amazing, really, that the people of this area take their libraries seriously. SLO's citizens are all asshats that think of libraries as, "that place where they hide the books."

Anyway, the reopening is good news, because all the others are far away. Mine, the one I've never actually been inside, is directly across the street from the grocery store. One library I went to recently was amazing. It was the most library-ish library I've ever seen. All old wood and bricks and wonderful. It felt like Harry Potter. Here's the two photos that turned out. I was not on my picture-taking top game.



Fantastic. That building is a thing of beauty.

So, moving on, the other day, I discovered that I was 150 pounds on the nose. That's really impressive. Want to know my secret? Live in a horrible house that smells bad, and only eat frozen food because you can't cook for fear of hepatitis. Food will stop tasting good, and you'll stop eating it. Then, because you've moved away from your family and have nothing to do and no one to do it with, go to the gym literally every single day and lift weights, swim, do tons of cardio, and develop the ability to do ten chin-ups at any time of day or night with zero warning.

A side effect of this is your pants don't fit and your underwear become all baggy. And let me tell you, there's nothing the ego likes more than how the seat of your underwear sagging like a turkey's chin looks.

So I went and bought new underpants. While I was browsing the sized and styles, I came to the following conclusion: XXXL is unreasonable. Don't people feel shame? This whole, "everyone's a winner, everyone's special" attitude has to stop. Honestly, it's not like loosing weight's been very hard. I wasn't even trying. Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that I'd lose weight at all. I just wanted to use the gym as an antidepressant. Weight loss just happened.

And by the way, no one wants fat underwear models.


Actually, the above guy used to be in incredible shape and was an underwear model. Then, as an experiment, he went all fat. He's been filming it, hoping to turn it into a movie. We'll see how that goes. The article's short. You should do yourself a favor and read it.

I thought pretty hard about posting a photo of me in my new underpants, but decided against it. Only three people read this blog, and one of them is very vocal about my nudity. So instead, I made it optional. ☺

And as long as I'm showing off photos, I guess I'll include one of me that I took in a style Cassandra's gotten pretty good at. This is me on Saturday afternoon.


I was stopped. At a stop light. Not just stopped in the middle of an intersection or something.

Alright, I think that's all I've got for now. I'm gonna go read my book and die till morning.

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty library! It looks like the Starbucks in Kent. I like.

    Also, losing weight is not hard if you don't have three small children to care for at ALL times. And if you live in a place where no hibernation is required. Blah. Winter is coming and it makes me SO grouchy.

    Lastly, I didn't click on any of the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee I thought of the Starbucks in Kent, too!

    I didn't click on the links, either.

    Creig, people should just try harder to lose weight. It sounds really easy.

    ReplyDelete